What are common signs of diabetes?
- Increased thirst
- Increased hunger (especially after eating)
- Dry mouth
- Frequent urination or urine infections
- Unexplained weight loss
- Fatigue (weak, tired feeling)
- Blurred vision
What can happen if diabetes is left untreated?
- Heart and blood vessel disease
- Nerve damage (neuropathy)
- Kidney damage (nephropathy)
- Eye damage (blindness, cataracts, glaucoma)
- Foot damage (amputations)
- Alzheimer’s disease
What steps can I take to prevent and/or control diabetes?
A good plan for preventing or controlling diabetes includes:
- Making good choices on what, how much and when to eat
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Being physically active
- Taking medicines (if necessary) to help you meet healthier blood glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol goals